The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance encourages all teams to work towards qualifying for two high quality national tournaments, which regularly feature highly competitive fields of the nation's top teams. This page provides information about how to qualify for these tournaments and a list of qualifying MOQBA tournaments.
NAQT High School National Championship Tournament
The 2013 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament will be held on May 24-26, 2013, in Atlanta, Georgia.
HSNCT Qualification Criteria
- Finishing in the top 15% of the field at any event that uses NAQT questions.
- Finishing as the highest-placed team at an NAQT State Championship or NAQT State Qualifier that had not qualified for the HSNCT prior to the state tournament.
- Being the top team from a small (public) school (by NAQT's definition) at any event that uses NAQT questions, so long as the team also finishes at least tied for the median position in the overall standings. (NAQT defines a small school as one with "fewer than 500 students in grades 10-12 and a non-selective admission policy.")
- Winning any class or division of an official state championship with rules and questions similar to those of NAQT.
While NAQT also allows qualification through wildcard bids, MSHSAA rules currently prohibit Missouri teams from attending a national tournament on a wildcard bid. Full details about qualifying for HSNCT are available on NAQT's website.
HSNCT Qualifiers in Missouri
These MOQBA certified tournaments are qualifiers for the 2013 NAQT HSNCT:
In addition to these tournaments, most other tournaments hosted on NAQT questions will also qualify teams for HSNCT. Tournaments that exclude teams based on ability (such as the MOQBA Winter Invitationals) may be designated non-qualifiers by NAQT.
PACE National Scholastics Championship
The 2013 PACE National Scholastics Championship will take place on June 8 and 9 at the University of Maryland-College Park.
NSC Qualification Criteria
The top 15% teams from any affiliated tournament, the top 20% of any "gold-certified" tournament, and the top 25% of any "platinum-certified" tournament, receive automatic qualification to the 2013 PACE NSC.
While PACE also allows qualification through wildcard bids, MSHSAA rules currently prohibit Missouri teams from attending a national tournament on a wildcard bid. Full details about qualifying for NSC are available on PACE's website.
NSC Qualifiers in Missouri
These MOQBA certified tournaments are expected to be affiliated with PACE:
- Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on October 20, 2012.
- MOQBA Fall Regional Tournament (Kansas City site) on November 17, 2012.
- MOQBA Fall Regional Tournament (St. Louis site) on November 17, 2012.
- MOQBA Fall Regional Tournament (Central site) on November 17, 2012.
- MOQBA Fall Regional Tournament (Southwest site) on November 17, 2012.
- Tiger Bowl V on December 01, 2012.
- Missouri S&T Fall Tournament on December 08, 2012.
- Rock Bridge Winter Invitational Tournament on January 19, 2013.
- 2013 North Kansas City Varsity Invitational on January 19, 2013.
- Mort Walker Invitational on February 02, 2013.
- WUHSAC XV on February 16, 2013.
- Helias Catholic Tournament on February 23, 2013.
- NAQT Missouri Qualifier on March 02, 2013.
- Hallsville Invitational Tournament on March 16, 2013.
- Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament III on March 30, 2013.